Links à La Mode: Weekly Roundup 10/11
Great news! My post on the “advantages” of menswear x womenswear made it to this week’s Links à La Mode from the Independent Fashion Bloggers website.
We’ll Always Have Paris……At least when it comes to Fashion Week. Many of this week’s posts were inspired by both the collections and the street stye scene during the SS13 shows in Paris. It’s also no surprise that with Autumn finally taking a (nice, crispy grip) on just about everyone’s mind, there were many posts on your favorite cool weather trends (leather, anyone?). To round things out, we had some truly thought-provoking and inspiring posts on Dolce & Gabbana’s earring controversy, Solange’s latest video, and menswear versus womenswear. As always, thank you so much to everyone who submitted their posts this week!
LINKS À LA MODE: THE IFB WEEKLY ROUND UP: OCTOBER 11TH
- A Minor Obsession: Baggy Leathers
- A&J’s Hairport: Spotlight – Solange’s Losing You Style Story
- Arash Mazinani: Introducing Street Style Icons
- Beyond Fabric: We Have It So Much Better
- Bon Vivant on a Budget: Closet Case // How To Wear The Grey Sweatshirt
- Chic & Cheap Living: Fashion Highlights of PFW SS13: No Pastels Here at Christian Dior, Lanvin
- Chocolate Laced: So, I Went Thrifting… And Did Some Major Damage
- Closet Coach: How To Create a Working Mom Mom Outfit
- Don’t Care Big Hair: The Clutch – Three Must Haves
- Dress Code High Fashion: Who Deserves to Sit Front Row?
- Fashezine: The Abscence of Color
- Ghazel Elhaei: DIY Pop Art Bag
- Inspirations & Celebrations: Frankie B & Interview With Daniella Clarke
- La Fille en Rose: Army of Me
- Mossypants: The Make Up Spill w/ Samantha of Could I Have That
- Nicole Kelly: Fashion Must Haves A-Z – Bangles
- Not Daydreams: How To Wear Faux Leather This Fall ft. Sararose Krenger
- The Curatorial: Dolce & Gabbana Earring Controversy
- The Simply Luxurious Life: Style Inspiration from PFW
- What 2 Wear Where: Madison Avenue’s Walk in the Park
SPONSOR: Shopbop Sale: Platform Boots, Knee Highs, NSF, Clu, Cote, Roseanna, R13, McQ, Hunter& Stylish Hats If you would like to submit your link for next week’s Links à la Mode, please register first, then post your links HERE.
We have it so much better
When it comes to fashion, men have it easier than women in a variety of ways. Although trends and collections are a reflection of the surrounding environment, usually influenced by prominent stylish personalities, when it comes to menswear the cyclic changes are much more subtle than those of our female counterparts…While there are also seasonal trends such as particular prints, garments or even wearabilities, the pages in which menswear is written have a century-old patina cemented over years of gentlemanly tradition.
In a way, this allows us to seamlessly update timeless attires by mixing trendy, up to date details instead of purchasing a whole new wardrobe…Ok, maybe not an entirely new wardrobe, but it’s a fact that women tend to buy more at cheaper prices, and (most) womenswear strongly sails with this flow. For men, you just know that some garments will always be classics and survive the test of time and passing tendencies: say a 2 button navy blazer or a perfect fitting suit - buttons, lapels and cut may vary or reminisce but if you stay within a certain spectrum, chances are they’ll stay with you for a long time.
So for us gentlemen, it all comes down to the old mantra of buying less but better: invest in quality pieces, splurge on essentials and save on ethereal garments. Not only will you feel more confident and look flawless, but at the end of the day you’ll end up with pieces you love, ultimately saving money and making your life much easier when it comes to getting dressed in the morning…
Photos by Park & Bond